Educating Locally. Learning Communally. Living Freely.

On the River Flows

/

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Pinterest
  Welcome to the new school year!  I can't believe how quickly the summer has sped by.  It seems like only a few weeks ago that we heaved a sigh of relief and put the school books away for a while.  But here it is again - school!
  I love the start of school; the promise of new things, the smell of new books, maybe even a hint of fall.  I enjoy putting new pencils in the kids' pencil boxes and putting unread books on the shelf, and yes, for a few weeks at least, I even enjoy doing lesson plans.  But often that grand feeling of newness gives way to stress as I begin to feel like we have got to get all this schoolwork done - now! In the first week of school!  Or their educations will be ruined forever!
  This year I have been a lot more relaxed, in part, I think, because I made it a point not to stuff the first few weeks of school with too many things.  I am beginning to know my limits and to plan accordingly. 

 Also, all the advice from my mom and my mother-in-law, who both homeschooled, is finally beginning to sink in.


  From their perspective, as moms who have schooled their children successfully though high school, they can see the forest for the trees as it were.  While I am so focused on the day to day, they can see that it is not the little things that make a great education, but rather the goals and philosophies that underlie and guide what we do from day to day ensure that we are on track to a good education.
  Sure, the forest and the trees are a great analogy, but I have found myself thinking more lately of a river.  Our lives flow on from day to day, and how often I struggle with the little difficulties, the rocks in the stream as it were.  But if I could look ahead and see where the river is flowing - as my moms look behind and see where it has come from - perhaps I would flow on a little more peacefully.
  But for now, this is enough - life flows on, and I am content to flow with it.

As we go into the new school year, please don't hesitate to call us if you have any questions or concerns.  All the ladies in our office are veteran homeschool moms and well qualified to advise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers