Educating Locally. Learning Communally. Living Freely.

Happy New Year! and an Introduction

/

Monday, January 6, 2014




  I love the new year for the feeling of freshness it brings.  For me it is a chance to pick up the house after the holidays and dive back into the busy-ness of everyday life.  I have spent some time the last couple of weeks thinking about the PHEA Digest and the blog and where things are headed this year.  Starting this month, I plan to send out the email Digest on the first Monday of each month.  Each Digest will include a list of posts that will be coming up on the blog each of the following Mondays.  This year the blog will be more active with information on various aspects of homeschooling, interviews with members of the homeschooling community and occasionally a “from the trenches” view of my homeschool.
  In thinking about all that I would like to post on the blog this year, I realized that in the year and a half since I have been writing the blog, I have never given myself a proper introduction.  And so…
  How do you do?  I am Deborah, mother of a third grader and a kindergartener.  I have been a homeschool mom for the past three and a half years.  But my involvement in the homeschool world goes back much farther than that.  My mom is the PHEA administrator, so I pretty much grew up in the PHEA office.  From registration to transcripts, phone calls to emails I have filled pretty much every role at some point.  I was in charge of the old paper Digest for several years, so coming back to the digital version has been a bit like coming home.  While my home duties, homeschooling, helping my husband with his business and such have made it necessary for me to hand off much of my work at the PHEA office, I am glad to be able to continue out with the Digest and the blog. 
  I think it was pretty much a given that my husband and I would homeschool our children.  Both my husband and I are homeschool graduates, and from the start we agreed that we wanted to be the primary influence in our kids’ education and in their lives.  And while I went into homeschooling with a lot of knowledge as far as the laws and requirements go and a lot of theories about how to homeschool, actually sitting down and teaching my kids from day to day has been a learning experience for me too.  I have a lot of support from both my mom and my mother-in-law.  Often when I mention to them a particular thing I am struggling with their first comment is, “I remember those days…” followed by, “have you tried…”.  It is nice to know that I am not the only one plunking down at the table and working through twelve years of education one day at a time.  It is my hope that in my “from the trenches posts, I can pass on to you a little of that feeling that you are not alone along with some great advice from my moms. 
  If there is any aspect of homeschooling you feel that you could use a little more information on, please let me know.  I am always looking for ideas for blog posts.  My email is pheadigest@gmail.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers