Educating Locally. Learning Communally. Living Freely.

Actually Finishing Something July

/

Friday, July 27, 2012


Actually Finishing Something July

With a couple of writers in our family, I am always interested to learn the little tricks and methods they use to overcome inertia, shake off writer’s block and make themselves sit down and write.  So I was very intrigued when my sister mentioned that she was participating in something  people in her sphere call “Actually FinishingSomething July”.  The idea is to set a goal, writing a certain number of words, or in her case finishing a couple of scenes that have been troubling her, by the end of July.

‘What a brilliant idea!’ I thought to myself, and knowing that my house could use a little “Actually Finishing Something” impetus, I looked around for a suitable project.  The piles of school books covering various surfaces in our house were a great place to start.  I really needed to sort out the books we used last year from the books I’ve been picking up for the new year and get my lesson plans started.

Well, there’s one week left and I’m pleased to report that my bookshelves look better than ever.  This year’s books lie together in a box waiting for me to get around to lesson plans (Actually Writing Lesson Plans August, anyone?).  Last year’s books are on the shelf waiting for the next child to be ready for them.  All those books I borrowed from my parents when we needed more information on a subject have been returned.  And I have the feeling of having actually accomplished something!

By why mention it here?  Not to pat myself on the back, but to encourage you.  We have just a week left in July, and incidentally until the renewal applications are due.  Let’s use this last week to accomplish something.  Count up those days and make sure you’ve done 180 (I was astonished to find that I had miscounted the first time and came up four days short!).  Have one last look at last year’s lesson plans and make sure everything is written down.  Take a moment to gather some examples of your students’ work in each subject as proof of the work you’ve done.  Don’t forget to write down a few grades.  Then initial those lines on the renewal application, you’re almost finished!

With all this work done it won’t take long to finish filling out the application.  Now you can sit back, relax and bask in the glow have finally finished something!  Well done!

The office staff is here gearing up for 
“Wading Through Piles of Applications August”.

- Deborah Hartman

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers